Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Perfect Weekend!

Okay I know it has been waaaaay to long since I've blogged and to those eagerly awaiting my next masterpiece, I apologize. A lot has happened since my last post so I guess I'll just start from the beginning. We played the Japanese Youth National Team on March 1st and 2nd. I was lucky to start both of those matches at libero and I didn't do too bad of a job. The first match I was pretty much fighting butterflies the entire time. It was the first time I had ever worn a USA jersey. It was just so mind-blowing. The second night I found a better rhythm and played a lot better and closer to my standard. It was amazing. The most surprising thing about the entire night is the entire new meaning that the playing of the National Anthem took on. Can't describe it. It just was a lot more meaningful now that I was representing that flag.
Here is our group shot after the match.

This past weekend was amazing because my very good friend Jess Yanz was in town! She was on her spring break and decided to come spend it with me! How lucky am I? For those of you who don't know Jess, here is a picture!

And here is her blog. The very blog that inspired me to do my own blogging. Yeah it's pretty sweet and I suggest you check it out. Anyways, she got in Thursday and right away I took her to see one of my favorites spots: Laguna. 

Okay, you caught me. I didn't take this picture, but it was honestly just as pretty. It was a cloudy kind of evening but still the beach was gorgeous. We checked out the scenery and took some beautiful pictures and then made our way to the surf shops right along the beach. I didn't get anything, but I didn't need to. Having Jess there completely made my night. We finished with a good dinner at a restaurant called BJ's. When we got home we started what would be a Criminal Minds marathon that lasted the entire weekend. 

Friday was uneventful. I had to give a couple of private lessons after practice so Jess came along and kind of hung out while I was doing my thing. Afterwards, she picked up a ball, looked at me and said, "Kayla, can we pepper?" Can you say volleyball withdrawal? She should so be out here training with us. Yeah she's a baller with absolutely perfect hands. She played at Penn State for two years, with me at Nebraska for two years, and she finished at Dayton. She's pretty legit. Anyways, after a good fifteen minute pepper, we went and cleaned up and headed to a UC Irvine guys volleyball match. It's pretty much my favorite pass time here. I love watching men's volleyball. Maybe it's because they are physically capable of doing things in the game that women can't. Maybe because it's a plus when guys are volleyball players and it automatically makes then ten times cuter than they would appear off the court. For whatever reason, it is mesmerizing for me. After that we went back to the apartment and hung out and continued with our Criminal Minds marathon. And then...gasp! Jess had the most brilliant beyond brilliant idea ever. CAKE BALLS! For those of you who don't know what these little balls of deliciousness are, they are pretty self explanatory. Tiny balls of rolled up cake dipped in chocolate. Is your mouth watering yet? I know mine is just thinking of it. They are quite possibly the most delicious thing I have ever tasted. And just because I want to share them with the world, here is the recipe. Enjoy!

Saturday was quite possibly the most perfect day ever. It was sunny and about 80 degrees and we spent the entire day at Newport Beach. It was perfect. And at night, if you hadn't noticed the pattern, we chilled and watched Criminal Minds. Neither of us were even a little bit upset that we didn't go out. I was just glad she was here. 
Shot of Newport Beach from my cell phone. Pretty perfect huh?

Sunday we went back to Laguna in the hopes of laying on the beach for a ridiculous amount of time. But, it was pretty cloudy and a little bit of a chilly breeze going on, so once again we walked the streets checking out some more shops there.

And Monday morning I had to take Jess back to the airport :( it was the worst ever! I was about to call Hugh and be like "Hey I know a legit setter who should be here training with us" and then begin to beg him to let Jess stay. But, I had to say goodbye. And thus ends the best weekend ever! And I know Jess has been waiting for this picture for a few days so here it is: Jess and I at Laguna Beach.

Until next time...

Kayla

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kayla Banwarth,

    I love you. I want to be like you. And I'm pretty much going to be writing a post like this one when I'm done with my homework in a ba-jillion years. I miss you already. I'm hopping on a plane to come see you as soon as I can afford it (thank you lulu's and BJ's) ;)

    Love, Jessica Yanz

    ReplyDelete