Friday, March 30, 2012

Hunger Games!

Don't you just love how I'm blogging more often? I know I sure do! Anyways, the subject of today's blog is my latest obsession: The Hunger Games. For those of you who don't know what The Hunger Games is about, here is a brief summary (don't worry I won't give anything away).
The Hunger Games takes place in a nation known as Panem. Panem consists of a wealthy Capitol and 12 surrounding, poorer districts. At one point in the country's history, a rebellion rose up within the districts and the citizens of Panem attempted to overthrow the Capitol. The uprising failed, and the Capitol regained control over their districts, destroying a 13th district in the process. Every year since then, as a reminder of the horror and destruction that a rebellion can cause, and to keep the districts under control, the Capitol forces each district to offer up (as tributes) one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18. These tributes would be trained in hand to hand combat and survival skills. After they are trained they are placed in an outdoor arena (controlled by the Capitol) to participate in "The Hunger Games", a fight to the death on national television.
This is Katniss.
This is Peeta.
Katniss and Peeta are the tributes that were selected from District 12. The book centers around their journey as they fight for survival in the 74th annual Hunger Games. 


24 Tributes...1 Victor


Sounds intense, huh? 


The Hunger Games is only the first book in the series of three. I originally read the series about a year ago. I fell in love immediately. But, I'm the kind of person who likes to reread books right before their movie comes out (some people don't like to do that which I completely understand). So, I started rereading the first book of the series about a month before the movie was scheduled to come out. Well, I completely forgot how addicting this book is, and I underestimated how fast I can finish a book that I'm really hooked on. I couldn't put it down. I finished it in about three days, and the plan to reread it right before I saw the movie kind of failed. And I couldn't wait to read the second book until after I saw the movie either. Once you start the series, the pages practically turn themselves! Well, I finished the entire series about a week before the movie came out. Oh well! The good news is...

66. Reread The Hunger Games series.


The movie came out in theaters here in Vienna on March 22nd (not sure when it came out exactly in the States). And THANK GOD we have an English cinema here in the city. I went and saw it with Jenna. I was so excited because I had heard nothing but good things about it. It definitely did not disappoint. The stuck to the plot line really well (I hate when movie adaptations completely stray from what actually happened in the book), and overall, all the actors did really well with their characters. 


After seeing the movie, Haymitch officially became my favorite character. Haymitch is from District 12, and is a past winner of the Hunger Games. He now serves as a mentor for Peeta and Katniss doing whatever he can to prepare them for the arena and to help them survive the games. Haymitch is portrayed in the film by the amazing Woody Harrelson.
He did an awesome job giving Haymitch more depth as a character and bringing to life his relationship with the lead characters, Katniss and Peeta.


If you haven't read the books, I would HIGHLY recommend them. You will be instantly hooked. And, if you're not a reader, the movie is definitely worth seeing! An amazing, gripping, intense, and inspired story! 


"Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor!" -Suzanne Collins (author)


Kayla


P.S. Because this post is all about The Hunger Games, here is a trailer from the movie for you! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen the movie yet!!! Ksdfkjweorjzlskdjflasjkdf;lj!!!!

    ReplyDelete