Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lifelong Frienemies

Hey there! So, last night our team won our third semifinal match, advancing us to the Austria League Finale. Pretty exciting, I know! However, this wasn't just any old semifinal series. There is a pretty cool story attached to it. Ready? Here we go!

Okay for those of you who don't know Ellie Blankenship, this is her...She is my age, and she is from Cedar Rapids, IA.

She and I have been playing against each other LITERALLY our entire volleyball careers. No joke. We played against each others' club teams in grade school when we were first starting out in the sport. She played on Cemar Blast, and I played on Courtmasters.
If only I had a pic like this of Ellie. Good thing I don't because she'd probably kill me if I posted it :)

We played against each other in high school. She went to Cedar Rapids Kennedy. I went to Dubuque Wahlert.
Not sure where she's at in that pic but she's in there somewhere.
We played against each other in high school club, as well. She played on Six Pack, and I played on DVC (Dubuque Volleyball Club) and Courtmasters. Then finally, we actually played TOGETHER our senior year of club. We were both on Six Pack Volleyball Club together. This is where the friendship phase of our very long history begins :) We clicked instantly and became good friends! We were definitely fun lovers and we brought out each others goofy sides. 
I'm the libero and she's #4 to my right.

After high school, we both went our separate ways. I went to Nebraska, and she continued her volleyball career at the University of Northern Iowa. 
We weren't in the same conference. But, as fate would have it, we met each other in the NCAA tournament in 2009. 
She was the starting libero all four years at UNI.

After our college careers were over, we were both invited out to Anaheim to train in the 2011 winter training block with the US National team. Once again, we were teammates! 
Still bringing out my goofy side.
And we got to enjoy Southern California together.
We both decided to continue to pursue professional volleyball. Surprise, surprise! We both signed in Austria. And, prepare yourselves, this is gonna come as a huge shocker....She is on the team that we just played in the semifinals! Weird! 
 As James Norrington of Pirate's of the Caribbean said, "Our destinies are entwined." I have a feeling we're gonna be competing against each other and with each other for the rest of our careers. And I can't wait :)

Kayla 

P.S. Frienemy: A friend that you love but at times you call an enemy for joking purposes. (Source: UrbanDictionary.com) You could say that Ellie and I are frienemies :) 

P.P.S. Here is your "The Office" clip of the day! Enjoy!

P.P.P.S. Ellie has a blog of her own if you want to start following her and getting to know her better!

No comments:

Post a Comment