Friday, March 23, 2012

Paris Day 3!

Alright folks! Here is the third and final installment in my Paris blog trilogy! I dedicated the entire third day to the Chateau Versailles!

Once again, I was up and at 'em early on Day 3. I woke up at 7:00 AM again and was out the door by 8:00 AM. I checked out of my room, but left my luggage there again so I wouldn't have to carry it around with me again.

It was an absolutely perfect day in Paris! Thank God the sun decided to come out at least one of the days I was there!

The first place I went this morning was Starbucks. I was dragging a little and needed a pick-me-up. So, I bought myself a caramel machiatto and did some people watching. Thank God Starbucks is international.

Around 8:45 AM I hopped on the train that would take me to Versailles. It was about a 25 minute train ride; not too bad. Plus, I got to see other parts of the city. It was a short walk from the train station to the chateau. I arrived at the front gates around 9:15. I'm still taking pictures on my digital camera right now so I'm afraid I can't post any pictures from the beginning of my day yet. However, this is what the front looks like. Absolutely amazing!
I picked up the audio guide to help me tour the castle. It was amazing! And you're in luck! About halfway through my tour, my digital camera said that I didn't have any space left on my memory card. So, I was forced to switch back over to my camera phone! Here is the royal dining room!
Apparently, whenever the royal family was dining, the public were allowed to come and stand on the other side of the room and watch. Strange. Anyways, the chateau was completely filled with amazing artwork. Here is one of my favorites: a painting of Marie Antoinette being crowned by Napoleon.
It took me about an hour and a half to get through the inside. Then I moved outside to the gardens!
The gardens were absolutely HUGE! I walked through the first part of the gardens with my map in my hand (yeah you needed a map to get through this place). There were so many beautiful fountains, statues, and groves that you could explore. Then right in the middle was the Grand Canal. Here is the picture of the map so you can get a sense of how big this place was.
I spent about an hour walking through the gardens and groves closest to the chateau. This was the King's Grove.
A few more pictures from the gardens.
Around noon, I headed to the Trianon Palaces (which were the royal families privates residences) and Marie Antoinette's private estate. I toured through a few of the private residences for about an hour.

Marie Antoinette's private bedroom.
This wasn't an actual kitchen. This was just a "warming room". The kitchen that prepared the food for the royal family was in a different building entirely.
The King's billiard room. 
After I toured the private residences, I decided to walk back to the palace along the Grand Canal. 
It was gorgeous outside! I loved it!
So there is a small dock on part of the canal. This is a popular place for visitors that need to sit down and rest for a bit. While resting, we have some amazing company :)
There were about ten near the dock. They swam right up to you! Of course, they were expecting bread, which I didn't have any. But still, I could've literally reached out and touched them! Incredible!
There were a few sandwich shops along the Grand Canal. So, I decided to have lunch there around 1:30 PM. 
I can't get over how beautiful it is!
I sit by the Grand Canal until about 2:15 PM. After this I make my way back up to the chateau. This place is absolutely breathtaking! I could get used to living like this :)
By this point in the day, I am absolutely EXHAUSTED. I spent almost three days going crazy in Paris, walking at least 5 miles a day, and getting little sleep. My back, my knees, my shoulders, my feet, and my right ankle (the one I had surgery on...weird, I know) were KILLING me. I didn't have anything else that I wanted to see during this trip. So, I decided to head back to the hotel, grab my luggage and head to the airport early. I got on the train back to the city at 2:20, was on the train to the airport at 3:30 and after checking in and finding my gate, I settled down in the airport around 5:00 PM. It feels so good to sit down, because at this point, I am in so much pain. I guess 23 is the age when everything starts hurting :)

My flight left at 8:15 PM.
I landed at 10:15 PM.
I took the train to Vienna at 11:05 PM.
I hopped on the subway back to my street at 11:30 PM.
I arrived back at my apartment at 11:54 PM. 
Talk about a jam packed three days of pure adventure!


It took only three days for me to fall absolutely head over heels in love with Paris. I want very much to be able to go back someday (but maybe next time with company). I don't really have any highlight points of my trip because everything was so AMAZING! I can't pick a favorite so don't make me :)

I spent an amazing three days in Paris, and you know what that means....
99. Visit at least one other country for a weekend while I'm living in Austria.

NOW GO HAVE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE! 

As always, sending all my love to you! Four weeks til I'm home! :)

Kayla

P.S. As usual, have a good laugh. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. loved all of these...so glad you could go and thanks for sharing your adventure :) can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete